When you talk about Mumbai’s food culture, you can’t forget the Gujarat special Khaman Dhokla!
The Gujarati community, which has been an integral part of this city’s history, has popularized this snack in the city and suburbs.
And today, you can find Khaman in pretty much all snack shops that sell Vada Pavs and Samosas.
Generally, the vendors serve this snack with Raw Papaya Chutney and fried Green Chilies.
Some of them also offer their specially made Dhokla chutney and Coriander chutney with it. However, I always prefer traditional Papaya Chutney whenever I feel like having this snack.
Khaman Dhokla is a light snack, which means you don’t have to worry about extra fats that go into deep-fried snacks. You can savor it anytime you want.
And if you want to make it more healthy, you can prepare it at home.
Yes, it’s quite easy to make Khaman Dhokla using a pressure cooker. You can also make it in a Microwave Oven.
In the following post, I have shared an instant Khaman Dhokla recipe.
I have used Talod’s Nylon Khaman mix flour for this recipe, as it gives the best results for homemade Dhokla recipe.
You may use any mix of your choice, though make sure you read and follow the recipe given on the packet.
Although most of the time you’ll find a similar recipe on these packets, it’s always good to go through it for additional tips. Those tips might help you avoid errors and mistakes while preparing this delicacy.
Now, check out the following recipe and delight everyone with your homemade pressure cooker Dhokla –
Khaman Dhokla Recipe
For Khaman Dhokla Batter:
- 200 gm Instant Nylon Khaman Dhokla Mix
- 170 ml Water to prepare the batter
- 25 ml Water to prepare the paste using small sachet
- 50 ml Water to pour on the steamed Khaman
For Tadka (Tempering):
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chilies
- 3-4 tbsp Oil
- 50 ml Water for Tadka mixture
- 10 gm Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- Get a mixing bowl. Use a sieve to pour the Nylon Khaman Mix in it. Note – Do not use the small sachet mix in this mixture.
- Add Water (170 ml) to this powder mix and prepare a smooth batter. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Cut the small sachet and pour its content in a small bowl.
- Add Water (25 ml) to this bowl and prepare a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the prepared Khaman Dhokla batter. Mix it thoroughly to get the paste-like consistency.
- Get a plate and brush it with oil. Pour the batter in it.
- Put this plate in a pressure cooker and steam it on high flame for 20 minutes.
- Remove the plate and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle Water (150 ml) on the plate and cut Khaman Dhokla into small pieces.
For Tadka (Tempering):
- Prepare Tadka using Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida, Green Chilies, and Curry Leaves.
- Add Water (150 ml) to this Tadka and let it boil for a minute or two.
- Pour this mixture on top of the Khaman Dhokla pieces.
- Garnish it with finely chopped Coriander Leaves and grated Coconut. Serve immediately.
- If you like this snack, don’t forget to try Sandwich Dhokla. It’s an amazing combination of Khaman and Dhokla.
- You can also make it using Besan at home, though it takes a bit more time than the instant recipe.
- Do not store this snack for more than 5-6 hours, as it starts losing its soft texture and taste.
- Try this snack with Fafda and a hot cup of Chai.